- User Experience Project ID: UX-27 Virgo UI Design for Full-text and Exact Search
- Purpose: Assess usability of proposed changes to Catalog Advanced Search in Virgo. These changes will allow the user to select “exact” searching and/or allow the user to select full-text searching for keywords
- Stakeholders: All Virgo users
- Test date: 5/22/15
- Test participants: 1 graduate student and 2 undergraduates
- Methodology: In-person with paper mock-up of proposed changes
Brief summary of findings:
- Two of the three users correctly matched search results to the search strategies, indicating an understanding of how “Don’t stem” and “Full-text” work.
- Users did not readily understand the meaning of “stem” and “full-text”, but found the Help text clear.
- (Some minor changes were made based on user recommendations: Discussing both stemmed and non-stemmed searches, including a fuller explanation of what the “full-text” option does, and using the term “group” instead of “phrase.”)
- One user specifically mentioned liking the checkboxes.
- The graduate student was well-versed in Virgo Advanced Search and easily understood how the new features work.
- Undergraduates demonstrated more confusion with terminology but used good logic to anticipate how the features work.
Project Files: https://virginia.box.com/s/2447w6c977dkqn16gyfclbap5qxi6d1m